Castle

The Castle of Carmagnola in Clusane is located on the promontory west of the old part of town and dominates the entire south area of the lake. It looks like a big and massive defensive structure with a square courtyard, around the walls you can see the deep moat with characteristic arched stone bridges that pass over. The revenues of the fortress are two: one on the east side and the other on the west where there was a drawbridge and towers outpost now completely disappeared.

There are few papers dealing with the origin of this particular palace-castle: the first structure is attributed to Ysei landowners in the area, who built this building in the fourth century, perhaps in an early medieval fortified castrum apparently, in the eleventh century, the lombard family Mozzi.

The documents show that in 1412 the property was passed to Malatesta and later, in 1427, the Republic of Venice after the confiscation of the property of Ysei. The imposing structure was given the following year Francis Bussone said “Carmagnola” for his services as commander of the army of terra firma. The great leader became lord of the castle for four years, as in 1432, considered a traitor by the Venetians, was executed in the Piazza San Marco in Venice and its assets sold to private individuals.

The Castle of Carmagnola in Clusane was later bought by the noble family of Brescia, Sala, who undertook undergone major changes to make it residence in accordance with the Renaissance models. Was opened on the east side a loggia with 14 spans supported by stone columns and frescoed the strip that runs along the roof, and there remains no sign of the stone coat of arms of the family room, reported on nineteenth-century texts.

Changes from the sixteenth century are also evident in the inner courtyard with a well, portico and loggia. Through various marriages, the castle was then divided into dowry among various families. In 1641, owning families Soncini, Maggi, Coradelli and Lana. Each family rearranged their needs living quarters and were modified so many important features of military footprint of the building.

Today the family Bosio brought the building back to its former glory with the help of the Superintendence for Architectural Heritage and Landscape in the provinces of Brescia, Cremona and Mantova.